We’ve all heard of the Callaway Chrome Soft & Chromesoft X, and we’re sure many of you have had them in play out on the course.
2020 has seen the latest generation of the Chromesoft franchise, and with an investment to the tune of $50 million into their ball production plant in Chicopee, Massachusetts, Callaway believe this has helped them produce a best in class golf ball. Big claims from Callaway, so we wanted to put the new Chromesoft to the test out on the golf course.
what has changed?
The new Chromesoft and Chromesoft X have both have been fully re-designed to promote more speed and distance while maintaining the great feel and spin characteristics Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X are renowned for.
“We’ve reinvented Tour ball performance again with our new Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X,” said Dr. Alan Hocknell, Callaway SVP of R&D. “Redesigning both models from the inside out allows us to give golfers more of what they want in a Tour ball – long distance, great feel and a spin profile that promotes low spin on full shots and high spin around the green.”
what’s new about Chrome Soft?
- Redesigned Dual SoftFast core with a 34% larger volume inner core and a thinner, graphene-infused outer core promotes fast ball speed and increased wedge spin.
- New mantle system formulated of proprietary, high-energy ionomer to promote fast ball speed.
- 10% thinner urethane cover promotes less spin on full shots to promote distance while maintaining soft feel and excellent greenside spin and control.
- New lower drag aerodynamic dimple pattern promotes higher launch, higher flight and long distance.
what’s new about Chrome Soft X
- Significantly larger SoftFast core promotes faster ball speed.
- Fifteen percent thinner cover lowers spin on full shots to promote distance.
- New mantle system combines a softer inner mantle with a firmer outer mantle, both consisting of proprietary ionomer blends, to promote faster ball speed.
- Firm outer mantle works with the new, thinner cover to promote increased greenside spin and control.
- New lower drag aerodynamic dimple pattern promotes a penetrating flight and longer distance.
Here’s what we thought when we tested the Callaway Chromesoft & Chromesoft X balls at Kilnwick Percy Golf Club.