Our annual Legends Day Tournament is just around the corner on Wednesday 15th May at The Springs, with everyone helping to raise funds for a worthy cause
The Springs Golf Club in Oxfordshire boasts beautiful scenery and a championship course, which was designed by a true golf legend, former Ryder Cup Captain Brian Huggett. Brian created a beautiful course to challenge and delight all ages and skill levels.
Our Legends Day Tournament takes place on Wednesday 15th May, it is an 18 hole Texas Scramble event, with 8 sporting legends on some lucky teams! The teams which they will be playing will be drawn in the morning before tee-off.
This fantastic event is helping to raise funds for the Matt Hampson Foundation, which is a truly wonderful charity that works to improve the quality of life, and overall wellbeing of young people who have suffered life changing injuries through sport.
In 2005, Matt Hampson was left paralysed from the neck down after an accident during an England Under 21 training session. Ever since, Matt has fought hard to live as normal a life as he can and as a testament of his bravery and determination, he created the Matt Hampson Foundation to help others. Matt provides advice, mentoring and inspirational talks across the country, as well as being a forward coach at Oakham School and Oakham Rugby Club.
The Springs Golf Club’s annual Legends Day Tournament will be proudly raising funds for the Matt Hampson Foundation, with the help of 8 great sporting legends.
who are the legends?
Here’s the cast list of our wonderful legends who will be helping to raise funds and join a lucky team for the day:
- Max Evans – a talented Rugby Union and Scotland International player. Max played for the Glasgow Warriors from 2007 to 2011, scoring 50 points in 63 appearances, as well as having 44 caps for Scotland!
- Louis Deacon – a great former Leicester Tigers and England International player, he had 29 caps for his country and 274 appearances for the Leicester Tigers!
- Freddie Tuilagi – the Samoan born, talented International Rugby Union and Rugby League player will also be joining us. Signing with the Leicester Tigers in 2000, Freddie was part of the 2002 Heineken Cup winning side
- Nick Compton – Former cricketer for Middlesex and Somerset, as well as playing internationally for England, Nick has played 16 Test matches between 2012 and 2016.
- Greg Searle – winning Gold in rowing at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, Greg was then awarded an MBE. He went on to win Bronze medals in both the 1996 Atlanta and 2012 London Olympics, as well as winning the Gold at the 1993 World Championships with his brother.
- Paul Doran-Jones – an accomplished retired Rugby Union player, who played for a number of teams from 2003 to 2018, including Gloucester, the London Wasps and the Harlequins.
- Chris Wyles – an American-British Rugby Union player who also represented the USA Eagles in the 3 world cups. Chris signed for the Saracens in 2008, where he made 254 appearances and scored a whopping 375 points!
- Matthew Hoggard – Matthew joins us at the Legends Day for a second consecutive year. A former cricketer who played for England from 2000 to 2008, and was also the captain at Leicestershire until 2013.
- Laurie Evans – a fantastic cricketer for Sussex County Cricket Club and was picked for the Rajshahi Kings in the Bangladesh Premier League in the 2018-19 squad. He enjoy a fantastic tournament as the lead run scorer, with 339 runs in 11 matches.
All our teams and legends are sure to have the best day at the tournament while raising funds for the Matt Hampson Foundation.